Friday, December 17, 2010

Tidbits

Hi Bloggies! Well...it's been a while. I don't really have an excuse: work, travel, yoga? Where have I been? Well, I have been cooking lots of vegetable delights (much to the chagrin of poor Aaron) and have been working, was in Maui, and have been having fun. I love blogging but am not good at keeping up with it, clearly.

Moving on, let's talk about some cooking tidbits.

These cookies from Eat, Live, Run are wonderful. I made some and brought them on a trip to Maui to visit my dad for Thanksgiving. I highly recommend them. I think mine were made even better with freshly harvested walnuts from a good friends family farm!

This recipe for soba noodles and other delicious ingredients made a great introduction to vegetarian cooking for my dad in Maui. Made with farm fresh baby eggplants from Hana Fresh, which Amanda so perfectly displayed here. I substituted Mango with pineapple and it was delish!

I have a new found love for cabbage...really! I have never really liked it before, but it's so crunchy and versatile, I am really digging it.

Here are some cabbage ideas:

Cabbage, apple, and nut slaw: Shred some green cabbage, slice some apples, toss with lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Top with pinenuts or walnuts...absolutely wonderful. Even Aaron really liked this.

Steamed cabbage with ume vinegar and flax oil: Gently steam some cabbage (this works well with bok choy too) but leave some crunch. Top with flax see oil, a dash of ume plum vinegar, sesame seeds and salt. OMG. Sounds so simple but really, really, really tasty and good for you!

Shredded cabbage tastes great mixed into green salads, topped on tacos, and sauteed into stir frys. Give it a whirl!

We recently celebrated Aaron's promotion at work by dining out at this restaurant. Holy moly. This place is not joking around! Sapporo on draft, hot hand towels, freshly made pickled cabbage, gorgeous dishes and glasses, wonderfully fresh fish, lots of veggie options, perfect Japanese decor...I think we found our new favorite sushi place.

Last, I have had lots of cooking failures lately. I mean...so bad I threw the stuff out. Am I off, or is it just trying new dishes that don't always work? Probably the latter. I am going to keep trying new stuff and hopefully I have more wins then failures.

No comments:

Post a Comment