Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Pomegranate / Edamame / Millet Tabbouleh

Happy Tuesday, Lovebugs! My Yoga Challenge is going Swimmingly...Although I am still not 100% back to health after my cold. I still feel sort of draggy...and coughy....and just bleh...but! Yoga and healthful foods are certainly helping. 

Yesterday I tried this almond honey butter from Hopkins AG. It was delish on top of my oatmeal. I bought this at the Del Mar Farmer's market last Saturday. I also bought some cinnamon sugar almonds and lime and sea salt almonds. To die for!



Today I was wondering what to make for lunch. I had a huge pomegranate to use, about a cup of shelled edamame, and about 2 cups of leftover millet. I also had a big punch of parsley. I thought to make a spin on Tabbouleh! Boy, am I glad I did. This was exploding with flavor and has all the nutrients you need for a healthy lunch!

Tabbouleh is such a versatile dish. Traditionally made with bulgar, parsley, green onions, tomatoes, lemon, salt and pepper, and olive oil...I often add in goat cheese, or feta, or garbanzo beans. Pinenuts are a wonderful addition...as really any nuts are great.  I also have used cous cous instead of barley which is very quick and tasty. You could also try using another herb or green. I bet finely chopped arugula would be awesome rather than the parsley. And really, you can use any grain you want. Just make sure your grain is mainly cooled, and that your ratio of grain to green is 2:1. See my recipe below.






Pomegranate / Edamame / Millet Tabbouleh
Makes 3 large portions (Nutrition facts are based on 3 huge portions below)

Mix well:

2 cups cooked and cooled millet
1 cup pomegranate seeds
1 cup edamame
1 cup extremely finely chopped flat leaf parsley
juice of 3 lemons (or to taste...I LOVE lemon, so I use a lot)
3-4 TBSP Olive Oil
1 tsp pink himilayan sea salt (or any salt you prefer)
lots of freshly ground black pepper

That's it! I am sure this will be better after sitting for a day, but right now it tastes absolutely delicious. It has protien, fiber, tons of antioxidants...and healthy carbs from the grains that will boost your day. Seriously, I can't believe how tasty this is! See nutritional information below.

Have a great Tuesday!

***(Updated Nutritional Information. I thought the earlier calorie amount was high...I think it was calculating based on dried millet rather than cooked Millet. This looks a bit better.)


Nutrition Facts
  3 Servings
Amount Per Serving
  Calories316.7
  Total Fat16.0 g
     Saturated Fat2.0 g
     Polyunsaturated Fat1.4 g
     Monounsaturated Fat10.1 g
  Cholesterol0.0 mg
  Sodium62.0 mg
  Potassium440.8 mg
  Total Carbohydrate36.8 g
     Dietary Fiber2.6 g
     Sugars19.3 g
  Protein9.7 g
  Vitamin A42.7 %
  Vitamin B-120.0 %
  Vitamin B-69.2 %
  Vitamin C79.7 %
  Vitamin D0.0 %
  Vitamin E13.2 %
  Calcium8.7 %
  Copper8.6 %
  Folate12.0 %
  Iron15.6 %
  Magnesium8.0 %
  Manganese6.9 %
  Niacin5.6 %
  Pantothenic Acid    7.9 %
  Phosphorus    6.0 %
  Riboflavin5.0 %
  Selenium1.4 %
  Thiamin6.6 %
  Zinc4.7 %


5 comments:

  1. This looks delish! Can't wait to try it. Love it when you put together random ingredients and turn out a winner!
    Like the new background too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That salad looks delicious. Good for you for throwing that together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG...looks soooo good! Love the idea of millet instead of bulgar as an option to keep it gluten free! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the nutrition facts. I write a healthy living blog at http://ashandlewplus2.com and a few people have asked me to put that on my different foods and I have yet to do it. I just might have to because of how much I enjoyed reading it on yours. Have a great day.
    Ashlee

    ReplyDelete