Sunday, January 8, 2012

New Years Cleanse Update

I was looking back at my New Years Cleanse post and realized it was lots of information about things I won't do. Here is some information on things I am doing:

I will focus on eating as many fruits and veggies as I can get into my face. I already ate most of my two week CSA package...in one week. I took a trip to the farmer's market yesterday and bought more seasonal produce... cauliflower, carrots, radishes, turnips, I found some decent tomatoes, shitake mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, etc.

I will focus on drinking one green drink per day and eating at least one big salad for a meal per day.

I will drink hot water with lemon every morning. It's such a great way to start your digestive functions moving, and it helps to clear out your liver.

I will drink as much herbal tea as I want. I am not cutting green tea... I am  not addicted to caffeine and don't have to worry about coffee, and I love my green tea. Also, it has so many benefits...to me, it out weighs the caffeine issue. Most cleanses recommend cutting caffeine all together, but I am not getting rid of my green tea.

After my first few days, I will reincorporate whole grains. I am giving my body a break from those for a few days...but am definitely craving them!

I am also eating lots of legumes...chickpeas, aduki beans, lentils...any kind of legume I can find.

I am focusing on eating as many seeds and nuts (in moderation) as I can. Variety is the spice of life...and there are so many seeds and nuts that are good for you out there...Chia seeds, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, sesame seeds....the list goes on and on.

I finally am starting to feel better, so I went to yoga for the first time in three weeks yesterday. It was AWESOME! I am super sore today, but in a good way.

Today I am going for a hike and another yoga class. Tomorrow I am getting back to running (the last time I ran was in NYC on December 26th.

I already can feel my body cleansing. Cutting out dairy and wheat alone make a big difference, as does cutting out alcohol. I feel a little drained of energy, but not horrible. I have been sleeping really poorly ever since I got sick, so I am hoping this cleanse will help reset my internal clock.

Due to the aforementioned sunshine, I have been slow to start on my list of projects, but I have been able to do a few things, like cleaning up my computer and going through a bunch of old photos. I also have cleaned out my work and personal file cabinets and cleaned out and organized my Christmas decorations. These are all little steps towards "detoxing" my house, office, etc.

Here is some more information on the benefits of detoxing your body. Of course, I take this as a time to "detox" everything...my house, computer, etc.

Detoxing Done Right
Weekend Detox 
Benefits of Detox on Livestrong

Happy Cleansing!

1 comment:

  1. Monday morning, I am so proud of myself for doing the weekend detox! Great suggestion, Amanda, I may do it once a month.

    ReplyDelete