Sunday, January 2, 2011

Kicking off 2011 right...

January is a great time to do some sort of a cleanse and start the year off right. I have done this for the past few years and it is a great way to get rid of all the crap and sugar I eat during the holidays and just really clear the slate for the new year.

I am fighting a cold, so hopefully it is gone soon. As soon as I am back to healthy, I am going to do a 30 day cleanse and yoga challenge. I had hoped to start today, but when I am sick I can't do yoga, and all I want to eat is bread, pasta, and white rice. I think I am getting better, so hopefully I can start in the next day or so.

Here are the guidelines:

With the exception of eggs and fish, I am going to eat a vegan diet. No dairy at all.

No "white" or processed carbohydrates. No white bread, no pasta. I still plan on eating whole grains and beans, but just want to take a break from bad white carbs that make me fat, tired, and hungry for more.

Limit salt. I can't eat food that doesn't taste good, and I don't think most food tastes good without salt, but I am just going to monitor it and try to use more fresh herbs and healthy seasonings.

No processed or packaged foods. I don't eat much of this anyway, but I am going to omit it all together.

Try to eat some raw dishes, perhaps once or twice a week.

No alcohol.

***One more thing....no processed sugar. If I need a treat I might have some vegan dark chocolate, dried fruit, or some organic apple cider from the farmers market. But I really want to limit or eliminate all of that if I can. I just want to make sure I stay on track, and if that happens by giving myself a few concessions, well then  so be it.

Basically I am going to eat a wholesome, healthy, diet based on plant products with lots of fresh veggies, fruit, whole grains, nuts, etc. This is the way that I feel I should eat all the time, and I know I will feel great after a few days of eating this way. I hope it entices me to eat like this more often throughout the year. (I love fish and cheese, so I don't think I can ever give those up, but I can try to eat the best I can as much as possible).

Last but not least, 30 straight days of yoga. We don't have any trips planned and no visitors so far, so this should be attainable as long as I don't get injured or sick again.

I also want to start running, but I am not sure how much time I will have with doing yoga everyday and working hard to start the new year off right with my job.

I encourage everyone to do some sort of cleanse in January. When I was still eating meat, I did the fat flush  plan which works GREAT. The first few days I felt super sleepy, but then I felt suddenly fabulous, with lots and lots of energy. My skin was lovely and my sleep was perfect. It's tough to do anything like that without eating meat, so I am hoping my new approach will work for me.

Here is to a healthy 2011 for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment