Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Recent Eatings...

While I certainly have not mastered the photography of food, I think I should share some of my recent "eats" with you. As I mentioned, I started cooking vegetarian (much to the dismay of my meat loving boyfriend) as much as possible around May of 2009. I have received tons of inspiration from Heidi Swanson of 101 Cookbooks and Supernatural Cooking as well as The Grains of Paradise Blog. I have tried a number of ingredients I had no previous experience with like tempeh, nutritional yeast, and Kabocha Squash. I have also been using lots of dried beans, lentils, and whole grains. I have really tried some delish dishes! Some have not been so good, but cooking with new ingredients is an adventure and I enjoy the ride. I started out the year with a few weeks on the Fat Flush Plan, which is supposed to be a two week diet to detox the body and organs. It is a book and I have done the diet a few times in the past. It is great...you loose weight, get great sleep, your hair, nails and skin glow...it's really great for you. But it is not really fun for a foodie...no fats, salts, sugars, basically, if it has flavor, you can't have it! A few days into it I decided to stay away from meat which was a real challenge because the Fat Flush does not allow carbs or dairy either...I had to sneak in some beans and whole grains to get enough protein. I realized it might just be better to try out a health vegan / vegetarian diet for a few weeks and see what happens.

I made an incredible orange roasted tempeh dish from 101 cookbooks website. This was AMAZING. I highly recommend it. Heidi Swanson is my hero.

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/orange-panglazed-tempeh-recipe.html

Also, I tried my hand at vegan mac and cheese. I added roasted cauliflower and garbanzo beans. There are many recipes for Vegan Mac and Cheese. I used a combination of Nutritional yeast, garlic, oat milk, salt and pepper, mustard, and tamari. I blended everything in the blender and heated it in the microwave. Nutritional Yeast has lots of protein and is very low in fat and has all kinds of nutritional amazing-ness. I haven't perfected this recipe yet, but will post it when I do. My BF even liked this dish...it was really tasty!

Also, I made us a really pretty breakfast of sliced grapefruits, oranges, and minolas. On top I added some agave, sliced almonds, and flax seeds. It was so good and pretty!


Well, I am off to make a healthy dinner for myself: wild rice with chard, kabocha squash, chickpeas, pinenuts and some dried currants. I think it sounds delish!

Aaron has had a rough day, so I am making him a little frozen pizza.

I am also going to cook a tomato gratin that Barefoot Contessa showed on her show on the Food Network for lunches for us for the next day or so.


Have a good evening!


No comments:

Post a Comment