Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Grey Summer....

Every year weather in San Diego is the same...January starts out with some sunshine, February and March are rainy and a bit chilly, April teases us with more sunshine, May is gray,  June is full of gloom, and typically July hits and it is sunshiny!!!! Well this year...not so much. It is July 28th and the sun is no where to be found. It appears our June Gloom has turned into July gloom...and with the summer I am having, it looks like the rest of the summer might continue to be gloomy! Well, sort of....

This is what it looks and feels like in San Diego right now:





This is what I imagine summer is like on the East Coast...except there I think it is more whimsical. I picture the beaches with the little broken down white picket fences, beach grass, and the hopes of a lobster boil to warm up the chilly beach evenings. Kind of like Barefoot Contessa.

Not only is the weather rough in San Diego right now, but my life is in a bit of turmoil as well. I have worked in staffing in San Diego since 2002. I have always been very good at it, receiving promotions, bonuses, pay increases and praise to prove it. I have never "failed" at staffing before. I have only excelled. Well, I took a huge leap of faith by joining a start up organization with huge upside potential, but some downside as well. Well after 10 months, things have not worked out. As of Monday, I was laid off. I realize I did not do anything wrong, but this is certainly not how I expected things to pan out. There was no way anyone could have known the economy would fall to pieces the way it has, I certainly could not have known. In any case, I feel somewhat defeated, extremely stressed, sick to my stomach, and very uneasy. At the same time, I am very proud of myself. I took a risk and that is more than I can say for a lot of people I know. Looking back, I would do it again. I learned a ton about myself, business, and others. I grew professionally and personally and I know that I will look back on this time and be grateful that I had the opportunity to go through this. Right now, it's scary.... I am not going to lie. I have a mortgage and a car payment and other bills. But, I know that new things are around the corner...bigger and better and wonderful things. I am thrilled to be embarking on the next step of my professional journey. I can't tell you all what I am up to next, but whatever it is will be fabulous! 

So San Diego gloom and gray...TAKE THAT! 

No comments:

Post a Comment