Thursday, May 6, 2010

Breakfast Pie and Roasted Beets...

The other day I made this potato pie for breakfast:

I used a handful of Trader Joe's Potato Wedges and warmed them in the oven. You could use plain potatoes and just slice them up and cook them in the oven or even boil them. 

1.5 cups cooked potatoes
4 eggs, 2 egg whites
3/4 cup soy milk
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup soy cream cheese
1/2 cup various grated cheeses
2 Leeks, sliced and cleaned
2-3 Tablespoons fresh herbs (I used oregano, thyme and rosemary)
Salt and Pepper

Spray a 9 inch spring form pay with non stick spray.

Saute the leeks slowly over low heat until soft and sweet.
Preheat oven to 350.
Meanwhile: 
In a blender or food processor, blend the eggs, cream cheese and milk. 
Add the flour and half the potatoes. Mix.
Add the herbs and half the grated cheese. Leave some herbs chunky for texture.

Layer the remaining potato slices and the leeks in the spring form pan.
Pour over the egg mixture and top with the remaining grated cheese.

Bake the pie for about 20 minutes until it is set. Let cook slightly and top eat or top with salsa like we did!

Yum!







I always get beets in my CSA packages and have tried and tried to cook them. Yuck. Well I tried again and I think they came out ok. These beets were so pretty when I cut into them. They were pink and white striped! 

I roasted them on a small baking sheet covered with foil at 425 for about 40 minutes. 
Then I let them cool and peeled them. 
Then I cut them into bite sized wedges and mixed with balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. I let them sit for about an hour. 
We made a salad with mixed lettuces, the beets, goat cheese...yum! It was pretty good.



We also had some sardine pasta. It did not taste fishy at all and sardines are REALLY good for you. I just melted some into some simple tomato sauce with capers and parsley. 



It was fun to make a dinner with ingredients I never really liked before...and to have the dinner turn out well!

Happy cooking!







No comments:

Post a Comment