Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Random Wednesday...

Hi Friends,

I woke up this morning thinking it was Saturday, or at the very least, Friday. It's one of those weeks that seems to be dragging. I think it is because all I have been doing at work this week is making phone call ....after phone call....after phone call.... with NO sight of a return or an end to it. As I have mentioned, I work in staffing and the job market is tough right now for job seekers...even tougher for me...someone that companies see as an extra cost. I am getting pretty frustrated and REALLY want the economy to get better.

 On a brighter note, last weekend I went to a RAW FOODS event! It was a lecture and food demonstration put on by Meredith Gnau. Check out her Blog. Meredith teaches at my studio but her classes are during the day when I am at work so I never have met her before. She was very sweet and not preachy...she just shared the information she has. We got along pretty well...she even has a pug!!!! She is also trying to find resources to go to a vegan culinary school...so if you know of any scholarships, etc, let me know.


The event was at my yoga studio and the lighting was horrible and Meredith was working with limited resources, so this picture wasn't great, but you get the idea. Most of what Meredith talked about was review to me but it was all good to remind ourselves of how to take care of our health with a high raw diet. I can't go completely raw, but incorporating raw foods into our diets is a great idea.

The recipes were amazing too:
She made carrot and apple salad with walnuts and raisins and coconut, massaged kale salad, veggie "fajitas" which were AWESOME, Pad Thai, zucchini "noodles", and two kinds of cookies. Everything was wonderful and easy to make. 

I think the "fajitas" were my favorite, so here is the recipe (with Meredith's permission, of course). 

Raw Veggie Fajitas
3 Large Portabellos
3 Bell Peppers, preferably different colors
1 Medium Sweet White Onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c olive oil
2 tbsp Chilli powder
2 tbsp Cumin
Cayenne to taste
Tamari (soy sauce) to taste
Fresh Chopped Cilantro to Garnish

Slice Veggies (like in fajitas) and toss with all ingredients except cilantro. Really "massage" the ingredients into the veggies so they start to break down a little bit. You can let it sit so the flavors meld or eat it right away. Great with some avocados and green salsa. (it would also be great with tortillas, but then it wouldn't be RAW!) 

This dish was wonderful. It has so much flavor and I think a big plate of it would be really filling, especially with the mushrooms. 

I was really happy to enjoy Meredith's event. Check out her blog, she has great recipes and ideas.

Later that night, I tried to make Aaron happy with a steak. I am sure Meredith would be horrified. 


On the side I made a huge salad, slow cooked beans, and freshly baked bread that I made from Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day. Here is a picture:
We also had some "Loco" zin from Aaron's friend (it was a birthday gift for Aaron). It was a nice Sunday.

Yesterday I was feeling pretty bummed out, so I bought Aaron and me some cupcakes (actually I had a free coupon). These are NOT VEGAN, not healthy, but...they did the trick. Nothing like a sweet treat to cheer you up!


This one is chocolate with vanilla icing:
 

This one is red velvet:

This one is lemon!


Do you know what else cheers me up besides sweets? PUGS! Particularly pug mutts, like mine.



Isn't he cute? 

Happy Humpday, love buckets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment