Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I'm BAAACK...a dandelion green recipe and I am a hippee...

Hi Bloggies!

I told you I would be busy and my have I been!

Well I am back with some fun posts.

First of all, I just want you to lay your eyes on all of this gorgeous citrus fruit. Some is from my CSA and some is from this cute little stand in Lakeside by Aaron's Dad's House.





Just so you can get an idea about how big this grapefruit is, I put it by Peroni's head. Peroni only weighs 16 lbs, so you get the idea:




I received some dandelion greens in my CSA package about a month ago and wasn't sure what to do with them. You can actually pick dandelion greens around your yard and neighborhood and eat them! They are really bitter, so you if they are young you need to sauté or braise them for a while or if they are more mature, you should boil them for a couple of minutes to get the bitter taste out. I made a gumbo of sorts, inspired by Raechel Ray with lots of twists:

Sauté in 1-2 tablespoons olive oil: 
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 small sweet white onion, chopped
2-4 carrots, chopped
1 bell pepper, green or red, roughly chopped
2 small zucchini, cut into half moons
Salt and Pepper
Fresh Herbs (I used thyme and parsley)
After veggies soften (5-7 minutes) , add in one bunch dandelion greens (stemmed, rinsed, and roughly chopped) and saute until soft (2-3 minutes).
Stir in one tablespoon of flour and let it cook out (this is for thickening) for about 2 minutes.
Add a 1/2 cup of white wine. Let that cook off for about 2-3 minutes.
Add in one large can of chopped tomatoes, or diced (I used Trader Joe's canned marinara sauce)Add in 2 cups of stock or water. (I used a vegetarian bullion cube with some water).
Add in as much liquid as you want...more for a thinner texture or less for a thicker texture.

This made about 5 servings for us. 


We served ours topped with some Israeli Cous Cous mixed with chopped fresh parsley and lemon. 




This was delish! Even Aaron liked it. It would be good with any kind of greens and I think you could use rice, regular cous cous, some orzo pasta, etc. You can also use whatever veggies you have on hand. Everything in mine was from the CSA with the exception of the onions and garlic. Yum!

OK, and here is why I am a hippee:

I bought some reusable silverware (which I am just leaving at my desk at work for lunches, etc.) and a little sandwich bag. It's wasteful to use baggies all the time and plastic silver wear is expensive and wasteful. This little bamboo set works great!




I haven't tried the sandwich bag yet. It's washable, which is nice.




Last, I tried oats in a jar. It's all the rage in the blog world. You basically take your nut butter jar that is basically empty but has some remnants leftover and add hot oats to it. I also added some strawberries in mine.





Verdict

I am NOT a fan. I had oats and almond butter all over my hand by the time I was done and had more oats left over in the jar than I did nut butter in my stomach. Waste of time. I will stick to eating my oats in bowl. 

More to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment