Friday, April 15, 2011

Energizing Smoothie...

Riding the waves of yesterday's news, I woke up feeling sad, tired, and not wanting to eat. However, with all of my training, I really need to eat lots of healthy food for fuel and I knew a smoothie was just the ticket.

I blended:

1 frozen banana
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
3/4 cup vanilla coconut milk
small handful of ice

And then I added a ton of supplements to boost my mood and energy:
1 tsp bee pollen (to fight allergies)
1 tsp spirulina (for energy and mental clarity)
1 tsp lecithin (for energy and clarity)
1/2 scoop Amazing Grass powder (for energy and greens)
1 tbsp flax
1 tsp chia seeds

The smoothie tastes fantastic (hello vanilla coconut milk!) and I hope it will give me all that I need to tackle, and enjoy my day.


I read yesterday about chia seeds on Tina's Carrots "n" Cake blog. I know they are great for you, but this excerpt from "Born to Run" really sums it up well:

In terms of nutritional content, a tablespoon of chia is like a smoothie made from salmon, spinach, and human growth hormone. As tiny as those seeds are, they’re superpacked with omega-3s, omega-6s, protein, calcium, iron, zinc, fiber, and antioxidants. If you had to pick just one desert-island food, you wouldn’t do much better than chia, at least if you were interested in building muscle, lowering cholesterol, and reducing your risk of heart disease; after a few months on the chia diet, you could probably swim home.

So...go out and get yourself some chia seeds! They taste great sprinkled on everything from salads to pancakes to granola...or you can just blend them into your smoothies....

No comments:

Post a Comment