Saturday, April 16, 2011

Pre Race Jitters

Not sure if I mentioned it on the blog but I am running the La Jolla Half Marathon 5k. It's just 3.2 miles...but its my first race! I am excited but really pretty nervous.

Last night I tried an "uni shooter", basically a raw quail egg sea urchin. Why. On. Earth. is this thing so big? That is what I thought when the sushi chef brought it out and almost wimped out if front of my Hawaiian friends. I can't believe I ate it.....this looks like pickled brains!!!!! Uni is something I struggle with. It's Anthony Bourdain's favorite food in the world...most big name chefs gush over this slimy sea creature. It's rumored to be an aphrodisiac and get the ladies of the world a little randy! I don't know if I believe that...Uni has such a ritual that goes with it, there is such excitement when uni is on the menu. I also think sushi chefs take you for real if you order uni...instead of your everyday California Roll for example.  although I don't love it I try to order it once in a while. I do like the flavor of uni...like clean, crisp sea water, but softer, and somehow floral? The texture for me is a big problem. The only way I can describe the texture of uni is mushy.  But, uni is legendary and worth a go for the serious sushi eater...and I am a serious sushi eater.

Now I am about to tuck into my pre race pasta. Julienned zucchini and carrots with chickpeas, fresh herbs, lemon juice, lemon zest, vegetable broth and topped with plenty of freshly grated Parmesan. I am so nervous about the race so I hope I can eat it!

Wish me luck for the race tomorrow. My only goal is to run without walking or stopping the whole 3.2 miles. 

1 comment:

  1. I hope you did well! Congrats on your first race. Not sure about the uni. I probably couldn't get past the texture either.

    By the way, thank you so much for the insightful comments on my most recent post! I couldn't agree more about government.

    ReplyDelete