Monday, April 4, 2011

Triathlon Training Updates

Well folks, I haven't done a good job of blogging once a week this year...not at all. I have been super busy with work and with triathlon training!

I believe I mentioned I signed up for a triathlon in October. I started training with a group and the group is training for another triathlon in May...so I think I am going to do that one too! Who am I? Triathlons? Running is out of my comfort zone. Swimming is out of my comfort zone. I am really pushing my limits here! However, I am really enjoying the challenge and think I am getting in better shape.

Running is getting easier and I think it is helping me loose a few lbs. In fact, I went shopping to splurge on my self for my birthday, and seemed to have dropped down a dress size! This is fantastic! I feel more confident and am excited for bikini season this year!

Biking is not too hard for me either and I have been doing fine with that.

Swimming is definitely the most challenging for me. I am a pretty good swimmer but have never distance swam before. I grew up swimming in Lake Tahoe, the Pacific Ocean, and the Sacramento River, as well as swimming in pools, so I am comfortable in the water for the most part. I have been practicing in the pool and over the weekend I finally went for a swim in Mission Bay, which I have been putting off due to some needed vaccinations first. The October Triathlon is in Mission Bay, so it's time for me to get used to it. Putting on my triathlon wet suit was a challenge in itself....that should be one of the events of the triathlon! It's so hard to put it on.... Then I slip on my freaky looking goggles and silly swim cap... now I am really the epitome of fashion, right? I got so worked up before jumping in that water. Why? Partially because I was nervous about swimming alone in the bay. And....Mission Bay is not known for being particularly clean. Well, I got in and the wet suit works awesome...it is SO buoyant that you literally float in the water. It makes the swimming almost effortless. However, I couldn't stay in the water for long. First of all...it was dirty. Literally, garbage was everywhere. Ewe.  Also, it was dark, murky, and full of seaweed! It was really freaking me out. Hopefully swimming with more people will make it easier. I felt like I strong swimmer but wished that my eyes were closed! Ignorance really is bliss.

I am continuing with my yoga practice as well as doing the training and continuing to walk my dog everyday.

I calendar my workouts and it has helped me stick to the plan. Here is what an average week looks like:

Sunday, Long (10-12 mile) Bike ride with training group, Walk for 30 minutes, run for 30 minutes (about 3 miles)
Monday, Swim for 30 minutes, Sculpt Yoga Class, Walk for 30 minutes
Tuesday, Long Run (5-6 miles), Swim for 60 minutes with training group
Wednesday, Sculpt Yoga Class, Walk for 30 minutes
Thursday, Yoga, Run for one hour with training group
Friday, Swim for 30 minutes, walk for 30 minutes, Yoga
Saturday, Yoga, walk for 30 minutes

As you can see, it's a lot! Thankfully now that I work for myself, my schedule is very flexible. I am doing my workouts primarily in the morning at 7:00 and at lunch time at 12:00, and then two nights a week in the evenings with my training group. Luckily, on days when I don't have business meetings, I can work in my workout clothes, so I am not having to worry about that...and not having to get ready to go to an office saves me some time. If I was still employed by someone else, I don't know how I would have been able to commit to this, so I feel very fortunate that I have this flexibility.

There have been a couple of unforeseen issues with all this working out:


  • I am taking 2 showers a day! (On Saturday I took three...one after yoga, one at the bay after swimming, and one when I got home!) I am trying to avoid blowing my hair dry as much as possible so it doesn't dry out. I am worried about my skin drying out, but body oil helps with that. 
  • I am doing BUCKETS of laundry. Yoga clothes must be washed the same day....with heated yoga, it can't wait. Between my yoga clothes, swimsuit, towels for the pool / bay, running pants, biking pants, sports bras, warm up jackets, running socks, headbands, etc, I am doing at least one load of laundry a day. It's uncanny. I feel very guilty about all the water I am using, but I don't think it's avoidable. At least I have a high efficiency washing machine that doesn't use a ton of water.
So there you have it. It's been a pretty wild ride so far, but I feel a great sense of accomplishment, and know that the day of the race will be such an unbelievable high! I am going to be so excited. I have a feeling I am going to get addicted to this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment